August 25, 2012
Well – it’s the last day of our summer cruise. Only about 10 miles to Augustenborg, where we wintered last year and where we left our car. With head winds and rain threatening we motored all the way and were in a berth by 12:15.
It’s been a great summer – 66 different places, 1650Nm and, by UK standards good weather.
The boat will be in Augustenborg until next Saturday when I hope to leave with a delivery crrew to get whispered Secret back to the Deben.
August 24, 2012
Well it’s out last night. We decided it would be nice to spend it on anchor and Dyvig, about 10 miles from our end – Augustenborg, is one of the few totally sheltered anchorages – there are a couple of marinas there as well to give choice.
We had a good sail across from Lyo, motoring only a couple of miles as the wind died and our speed dropped to <2 kts.
We arrived at Dyvig mid afternoon and found a decent anchoring spot, close to the marina. It turned out to be a very peaceful night and Tess had a decent walk ashore. Great for a last night.
August 23, 2012
After 2 nights inj Aeroskobing it was time to move on. The wind had dropped a little from yesterday buit still forecast to be 20kts+ still the waters are sheltered and so there shouldn’t be a big sea.
We had a leisurely morning and left just before 1200 and were sailing within 10 minutes. Under Genoa alone to start with but reefed main soon followed. It was another close fetch but we only needed one tack to get round a shoal patch and we covered the 18 miles to Lyo in around 3 hours.
Berthing was fun with a 20kt cross wind and we somehow managed to get one of the stern lines wrapped round the top of a stanchion and predictably broke it!
Fortunately there was a helpful person to take our lines and we were able to stop the bow blowing off into the boat next to us.
August 21, 2012
With bad weather forecast for Wednesday and Thursday it was time to look for a bolthole. from last year we knew that Aeroskoping fitted the bill – well sheltered, cheap (125DKK / night) and pretty little town with reasonable supermarket.
We left at about 1000 and sailed well to begin with but once we got amongst the islands the wind dropped off to force 1. In the end we sailed 13 of the 21 miles.
August 20, 2012
After 3 days of CA rally – with temperatures up to 33degrees, it was time to leave. The forecast for Monday was moderate westerlies – just the thing for going north. Our original plan was to head 30miles north to Fehrman and then head up to Denmark on Tuesday but with great sailimng on Monday and the wind forcast to die away on Tuesday we decided to keep go8ing and we completed the 61 miles to Bagenkop (Denmark) in around 10 hours. We sailed for 40 of the 61 including about 10 miles under spinnaker.
During the trip we overtook Tutunui, the rally organiser’s Moody 38 and 3 other German yachts beating up to Denmark -= yes the beam reach, as usual, turned into a close fetch.
August 19, 2012
Hot! 33 degrees today for the last day of our rally. The German water police came along this morning and engraved our valuables for us – mainly those things with stick on serial numbers and gave us a card recording the derial numbers of the things they engraved. I had anything done which ois left on deck – including my Fortress anchor.
Final dinner tonight then off to Fehrman tomorrow.
August 15, 2012
With only 8 miles to go we had a leisurely morning and left the very friendly YC marina at just after 1200. The wind was moderate south ESE which gave us an easy close reach over to the Travemunde channel. We arrived to find quite a number of Rally boats already there. Berths were scarce excepr for the ouitside which was subject to considerable swell. We hunted for a berth for a while, tried one but got stuck between the posts – another suffered from limoited turning room and in the strong cross wind we struggled to line the boat up with the berth.
Then came our saviour – a radio call from the rally organisers directed us to an alongside berth by the mast crane – ie deep into the marina. We made our way round, reversed in as requested and we had arrived. We all have to move tomorrow but so far so good.
August 14, 2012
We decided to make for somewhere close to Travemunde – where we join a CA rally on Thursday – Neustadt fitted the bill. Choice of moorings were a large marina distant from the town, council box moorings close to the town or a small YC marina just a little outside the town.
With the wind still easterly we left Kulungsborn at 0900 and soon had the main up and were sailing at around 5 kts. Once we cleared the headland and had a direct route to Neustadt we got the spinnaker up and carried it for 28 miles as the true wind built to 20kts and averaged 7kts. We got it down 2 nm from the Neustadt channel and sailed on first under the main alone and then we swapped to the Genoa alone. We motored one we entered the harbour. We spent a fruitless hour looking for a berth before heading back towards the large marina but decided to try the YC Marina which had looked full on the way past. After trying to get into a berth too narrow for us we were directed by a helpful member to an alongside berth tucked away round the back and after much messing about trying to reverse in – we made it going ahead.
August 13, 2012
Well we did have a peaceful night on anchor – unlike the last anchorage where we rolled all night. We woke to the alarm at 0700 and by the time we had fed and walked Tess, had breakfast and packed the dinghy away it was 0915 – still we were off to a 700 berth marina in Germany – what could be the problem there?
The wind was still moderate easterly and we got the sails up as we motored out of the channel from the marina. Once in the main channel we were able to beat down it and at the end we bore away onto a close reach and we were off at 6-7 kts.
On the way over we noticed a range of tall ships and investigation on the AIS suggested that they were all coming from Warnemunde/Rostock. Confirmed when we got into our marina – there had been a large classic boat festival.
We arrived at Kuhlungsborn at about 1400 to find yachts milling around looking for berths. Luckily there wer still 2 <12m berths free so we were OK but the marina was pretty full even at that time and yachts were rafting by 1700. The wind, which died as we approached the marina kicked back in again and was blowing NE 5-6 by early evening – really whistling round the marina. Still we sailed all but 1.5 miles of the 28 miles in glorious sunshine and averaged 6kts.
August 12, 2012
We are on our way to Germany (Travemunde) for a Cruising Association Rally. The southernmost point of Denmark is the Gedser peninsula and so a good stopping off point on the way south. The CA notes on Gedser are not particularly encouraging!
“.….the “outside” route via Bagenkop on Langeland, Rodby Havn and Gedser on Falster, (respectively the ferry terminals for Fehmarn and Travemuende in Germany), and Klintholm on the eastern tip of Møn. The ferry ports are not particularly noteworthy,….”
An impression backed up by people we have met en route. We were resigned to spend a night at Gedser and concerned that it would be busy. We left at 0900 with virtually no wind and motored all the way – as we approached the marina the wind kicked up to about force 4 (typical!) and we notice a yacht anchored off. We never learn so we decided to follow their example and we too anchored off. The location is well sheltered from the east ( where the wind is and forecast to remain) so we hope for a quieter night than our last anchorage.