July 15, 2011
Was never going to go according to plan. The coppercoat needed more time to cure before the boat could be shifted in the cradle, then the patches that were left behind needed to be painted, let dry and then cure or they might disolve in the water. So we delayed our departure until August 1st with the boat going in the water at 1200hrs.
Special thanks to Marcus Collins who helped pick up our last items and take them to the boat. To Tony (Boatyard manager at Trafalgar Wharf) who was extremely helpful even letting me run an extention lead from his office when the electricians were working on the meter supplying the boat. To Paul from Symblast who was there at the end of the phone giving advice throughout the various stages of epoxy, primer and coppercoating and bought back unused coppercoat.
Everybody we have come in to contact throughout this process have been extremely helpful If this is a sign of the people we will meet as our adventure unfolds then we have definitely made the right choice.
This ends “Moving Aboard” the next trip is Gibraltar Bound!!
July 14, 2011
After many layers including for epoxy coats to add waterproof protection, primer then 5 coats of coppercoat she is finally ready. 1 week to go and our trip begins.
We decided on a 3 blade fix prop (less to go wrong and cheaper) and an anode that can be changed in the water. The weather has caused us some delays but the boat finally goes back in the water next Friday.
We will then move to Ocean Village Marina for the Clipper Race festivities. Our trip will start with them on Sunday 31 July 2011.
July 13, 2011
A good sanding and some very minor filling, but how we ached all over – this better be worth it!!!!
July 08, 2011
It is now time to sort the underneath of the boat. We moved her up to Trafalgar Wharf managing just to scrape in at high tide to be lifted. Paul from Symblast was very helpful and did me a great deal on coppercoat and the epoxy and primer. His company also blasted the hull removing all anti-foul. The hull was left in great shape and the rudder has some extremely minor poc marks that will easily be filled by some epoxy filler. Very pleased with the job.
My dear friend Martin Atkinson came to visit and despite the good weather he left his motorcycle at home to run us around in his car. Back and forth to the boat to help us load more stores as well as down to Eastbourne to help me catch up with my cousin on her birthday party. He will always be welcome aboard and knowing Martin I expect to see him popping up aropund the world to just say hi.
June 24, 2011
Matt from Kemp sails came over to the boat and helped fit the new stack away. I also fitted additional sliding doors above the cooker so that we can utilise the space above the cupboards.
June 24, 2011
We sailed late at night to catch the tide and drop off “Secret Smile”.The electrician connected all of the Raymarine instruments and linked them with the Raytheon instruments. We have the new Raystar GPS and the 6 gang power board was also connected.
June 17, 2011
Just had Ron Robinson swing our compass today that was quite badly out. I did not realise how badly – it was 27 degrees on one point and 20 degrees on another. After about half an hour Ron managed to adjust it to within 1 degree (It is bang on for most points of sail – and as no one can hold a yacht on a 1 degree course good enough for government work!!!!)
I think someone in the past might of tried to adjust it – Ron said it was one of the worst he had seen. We did get to Cherbourg the other weekend with it but it was a bit hit and miss. Maybe now we will find our way around the world!!!
June 14, 2011
We chose Rolls AGM Batteries supplied from Bardens. They made up all the connecting leads for me. I had 4 × 6 volt batteries that when put in series and then parallel to provide me with a bank totalling 500Ah.
I got a bit confused when connecting the boat 12 volt and mains power charger leads. Also the radio was not working. After a consultation with my brother ex-law (Dave Nichols) and both of us drawing sketch plans we worked out I was using a terminal I should not be using.
All now connected and working. I also connected the new battery monitor so we can keep an eye on their state.
May 29, 2011
It is amazing the difference that putting the named ‘dodgers’ on the side of the boat.
May 20, 2011
We needed to increase the amount of gas we carry and also it would be handy to have spare fuel. But I was concerned of trapping fumes in a sealed locker. However by using the transome locker that is open at the front (But protected from the elements) it provided the perfect solution.