August 05, 2009
Well…. All fun things must come to an end. Time to head back to
Toronto. Arrived in Kingston before the big blow from some powerfull
thunderstorms went through. The trip back wasn’t all that easy, with
winds almost on the nose at 22knts gusting to 32knts. So there was a
bit of pounding into the waves.
So let’s see what I need to update you all about since the last time I
posted a blog entry.
We pretty much stayed the whole time in the navy islands it was a
great spot with great holding. Why move :). Colin decided yesterday
to jump over to another island for the night but I decided not to
since the weather forecast was calling for strong SW winds and where
he was going to drop the hook was wide open to the south. So Colin
ups the anchor and starts to head out when he notices no water is
coming out of the exhaust. So drops to hook again to look into why.
Finds that his filter for the water which cools the engine was full
with grass and weeds. With that cleared out and off he triesg again
the hook comes up and all set to move onto a new island.
Not so fast. Water still not coming out as it should so drop the hook
again. He finds out that the thru hull is packed with weeds and grass
(I’m watching this unfold from huck). So he manages to clear that out
and is ready to pull the anchor up when all of a sudden the windless
stops bring up the chain. Not a problem with windless but the anchor
it won’t come off the bottom. I jump into the dingy to see if I can
help. We rig a line from the chain back to the massive port side
winche he has. I cranked and cranked and what ever it was, wasn’t
going to let the anchor go. By the time we couldn’t bring it up
anymore the bow of the boat was a good 7-8 inches below the normal
waterline. We did manage to bring it up to 15ft below the surface. By
this time some Americans going by decided to see if they could help
out and using a diving mask was able to look down and see he snagged
on a cable. A unmarked cable. Colin looked all resources he had for
charts as I did later and none showed that there was any cables in
that area. Lovely, the American offered to dive down to rig up a line
looped around the cable we decided to rig a line around the cable
and tie it off to a cleet on the boat allowing us to drop the anchor
down and free it. $300 anchor saved and 300 feet of chain. After all
that I cleaned my filter and it was full as well.
Now back to me leaving this morning. I headed out and came around the
narrows between two islands when I noticed that the alarm for the
engine over heating was going off (not very loud either. Another item
to replace with something louder). Pop the engine out if gear and ran
to the bow to drop the anchor and about 100ft of line in about 30 ft
of water(have 40Ft of chain as well) and off the engine goes. I know
that the engine isn’t getting water. I check the filter and it’s full
of weeds again. It wasn’t enough to stop the flow of water. I open
the thru hull and not a drip of water comes in. This is a problem no
question I jam anything I could find into the thru hull but that’s not
going to work. I have but one choice and that’s dive. Not like I was
looking forward to take a swim at 10am. But no other choice. I tied a
line to myself inCase the current or wind decided to take me for a joy
float down the lake. Good thing I had a pair of swimming goggles
(mental note keep swimming glasses on board at all times.). Once I
relaxed from the shock of the cold water at that time of the morning I
manage to find the thru hull and with a wire pluck out the offending
grasses. Open the thru hull and we were back in biz
And that brings me back to Kingston
Where we docked up with two other eyc boats. One heading back to
Toronto and the other to the islands for the week.
August 01, 2009
It’s been a few days since I updated the blog.
We stayed in Lindsay island for one night. It was a nice spot. But
could get very noisey quick with all the traffic in the channel behind
us. It was calm most of the night until about 3am when
I woke up because I could hear something banging on the mast woke up
and could hear that it was really blowing outside I went outside to
set my alarm for the depth in case the anchor was dragging. When I
noticed that the house boat wasn’t where it should have been. They
were up near shore. I could see that they had lights on and people
were awake. I guess their anchor didn’t hold and they went floating
into the rocks. No damage was done as far as I could tell because in
the morning I saw a powerboat pull them off and they reset their
anchor in the bay(I’m sure to have a nap after being up all night ;) )
In the afternoon we got a hold of Colin from eyc(who is race with) and
told us he was heading upto the navy group of islands so we decided to
join up. I had thought of moving to the navy islands anyways.
We have been in a bay behind stave island for two nights now. It’s
been pretty busy with traffic but over all not too bad. Finding the
enterance to this place became alittle tricky. And yes I did ask
another sailboat for directions. They looked like they were trying to
find the enterance as well. Figured they might know the way in. The
charts were tricky. They all seem to have different readings for how
much water was below the surface. We did go into the US for a few
mins without knowing it. Only later looking at the chart plotter did
a realize I wondered over that unvisable line.
We went into town yesterday to grab supplies and load up on some fuel
and water and get a pumpout Which became the most expensive pumpout
yet $30!!!! Talk about milking the boaters.
There is about a dozen boat in the bay I’m sure it will get busy with
traffic with people enjoying the long weekend. We have been invited
to move to another spot but I kinda like it in here. The water is
shallow and water than in the open river.
Plus yesterday Amanda was able to catch her first fish, well actually
she managed to get 2. The first from the dingy and the other from the
side of the boat while getting it cleaned up for the evening.
Looks like it’s going to be an awesome day today with sun all day.
July 30, 2009
We finally made it to the Thousand islands !! First night at anchor
just behind Lindsay Island. There are about 6-7 others here tonight.
Water Is calm(let’s hope it stays that way). Talk about tricky
navigation. Water depth goes from 30ft to 6 feet in no time.
July 28, 2009
Arrived in dandy cove from cobourg. It’s located just east of
belleville. Trip over was wicked. Winds over 15knts with big big big
rollers. Waves where above out heads at times when we were at the
bottom of the waves. Did over 6.3 knts most of the time. For the
first time we sailed for a good chunk for the first time. Next time
thousand islands !! About time !! :)
July 27, 2009
Arrived in Coburg save and sound much better day than yesterday. Wind
was perfect in the right direction but just not enough of it. Ended up
Motor sailing most of the way did sail as well but when the speeds
dropped down to 4knts I decided we needed to power up the universal
and get moving to arrive in time to coburg and have a spot. It looked
like a convo of boats heading in this direction. Off in the Morning
towards Murray canal.
July 27, 2009
Sent from my iPhone