April 11, 2009
There, I’ve said it. I cheated on my girl. I didn’t go through with it though. I only looked. Yep, you guessed it- I didn’t get the Morgan 382. Subsequently, I ran back into the arms/spars of my first love and promised never to do it again. I sanded her down, did some glass work, and gave her a good scrub. Hopefully she’s forgiven me. We reaffirmed our vows. I am recommitted to her, and we’re stronger for it. (I know, I know, I need to get out more.)
So with that I sat down and made a list and a date for her first sail since Hurry Ike. The date is April 22nd- Earth Day. I’m not much of a hippie (unless PETA means People Eating Tasty Animals), but I thought it would be fitting since we plan to go around it.
Rain this weekend, so no sanding or painting. I’ll put together the last two stays this evening with their Sta-lok fittings. note: Sta-lok sucks. I’ve ruined two for sure trying to get them apart, and maybe more since they had to be heated to get the old wire out. (Heating to over 800 degrees causes atom diffusion which changes stainless steel’s corrosion resistant properties.) We’ll see. I would recommend (though I have never used) Hi-Mod fittings. They don’t use a sealant to keep them secure. Monday it’s down to the rigger’s to put the finishing touches on the mast.
- final sanding and application of Sharkshide aluminum protectant
- drill, tap, and attach remainder of mast track
- drill, tap, and attach spreaders (One of which I had to dive for in murky water after the hurrricane! Can’t believe I found it, but it was worth it. Replacements look cheap compared to my heavy duty “airplane wing” spreaders.)
- drill, tap and attach: steaming/deck light, tri-color, and windex
- remove said tri-color and windex so the clumsy crane operators don’t break or bend them when raising the mast.
- install masthead sheaves (after I’ve made new GIANT clevis pins)
- run halyards- this is very important seeing as I have to drag myself up the mast to re-attach the tri-color and windex.
- re-wire mast using long zip ties to keep the wires from “slapping” inside the mast. Consequently, I thought about omitting this step as I rather enjoy all of the little sounds my boat makes. Halyards slapping in the wind, creaks and groans. But I am a little worried about chafe, so I think I’ll take this protective measure. The previous owner ran wiring through a PVC pipe that had a “T” at the spreaders for steaming and spreader lights. You can imagine trying to run a small wire 35 feet through a maze of PVC. I’ve had to do it. I’m definitely opting for free floating wires.
I know it sounds like a lot. That’s because it is, but if I don’t set a timeline I’ll keep aimlessly working on projects that won’t get her back out on the water. And the longer she’s not on the water, I’m having to get my fix by sailing/racing on other boats. Which upsets her to where something else breaks (fresh H2O pump last weekend) and makes more projects. It’s a vicious cycle I’m putting a halt to right now.
- think I might name her “Hera” after the wife of Zeus and goddess of all women. (surely one of those will come in handy someday)
- looks like spine surgery next month, but would like to get my folks down to the boat before that. Especially my mother and her friend (and mine too) Mrs. Fellers. They have been asking about coming down since the hurricane. Mrs. Fellers (Bobby) says she wants to help sand the woodwork. I’ll have to leave some to do. I can’t believe my family has never seen her. Maybe mother’s day would be good.
- ran across a couple of old Hurry Ike pictures and will try to include them. One is what’s left of the pier she weathered the storm on, and the other is my boat being the last one standing at the marina.