June 02, 2010
Woke up at 02.30 a.m. to the howling wind again but this time it was even stronger than yesterday. Again this was not forecast to be gale force but it was a northerly wind which made it worse for us as it was blowing straight into the harbour and us onto the quay. We had 11 fenders out and double lines to the quay. The noise inside the boat was horrendous as the ropes snatched back and forwards and the waves hit the boat. Everybody was up on the decks of their boats at 3 a.m. trying to keep their boats safe. When dawn broke at about 5.30 a.m. we got off the boat and kept watch from the quay, not a lot we could do except make sure the fenders were not jumping out of the water as the boat lifted with the wind.
At about 11 a.m. the wind died down to a reasonable pace although it was still blowing a northerly, the sea still kicking up quite a chop and a good swell. Several boats left the harbour during the night as their anchors dragged. We sustained little damage, the stanchion where the gate is had bent with the force of the fenders on the guardrail.
As we had planned on leaving at 6 a.m. this morning for our 8 hour journey to Santorini, this of course did not happen and we are staying put once again until we get a better weather forecast to move on (not that it bears any resemblance on what the weather actually does) and rethink our plans.