July 14, 2009
July 14, 2009
We left Thursday morning with the tides and motored (no wind) to Port Angeles and spent the night then motored to Neah Bay for a night. On Saturday morning we started out to the “big Pacific” for the very first time and expected wind. For the next 2 days, 48 hrs on the Pacific we had no wind to sail but very rough seas. Just swells that were choppy and coming at us from every angle. Who would have thought you could sail from Blaine to Newport and never be able to use the sails except to steady the boat. Needless to say listening to the motor and getting tossed around plus RAIN, was not at all what we expected.
We will stay in Newport this week at the Embarcadero Marina (144.00/week) and we get cable TV with that too. Sunny here Don is taking his brother to the train and he will go home for the week and we hope he’s coming back. Don has a few repairs to do and we have some wood to finish while the sun shines. Some people plan to visit us from Eugene where I used to live and son MIchael will drive over from Portland.
One funny thing; Don had wanted me to not take the microwave to Mexico but I was hoping we could use it on the way and maybe see how it would work. One our third day of rolling all over the sea and being hit by it when the bungee system we rigged did not hold I took it out and put it on the floor of the boat, then called to Don to this this xxx$%XXX thing and pitch it over the side. Without any hesitation he swooped down from the cockpit picked the microwave up and through it over the railing while his brother laughed hysterically….. I did not even get a millisecond to think this over and it was history. I am sure Charlie the tuna is down there heating up dinner. LOL
I will upload some pictures as soon as I can shrink them.
August 27, 2008
Monday, August 25th, Don fell and dislocated his shoulder. I was below and we were planning to spend the evening stowing the last of his boat tools after dinner. Needless to say that did not happen and we took of to the ER in Bellingham.
He is doing well and today we are seeing an orthopedic doctor to see what this will entail and what type of care Don will need. Today we make big major decisions. Thank fully we would be vehicle less but we rented a car. We were blessed to sell the truck to Don’s brother and wife and my care is safely stowed in the condo garage.
The bad news is that we do not have moorage for the boat as of the end of August, and there is not even one slip for our boat available here. And the wind and weather are awful, making it impossible for us to sail out into the Straits. We will make decisons later today based on what the doctor tells Don and all that jazz.
Please keep us in your prayers during this time, if we are not able to leave for Mexico this year, we are quite blank on what to do.
Love Jacquie and Don
August 20, 2008
We were unable to leave on August 18th, just a couple of glitches!!!! Our main sail arrived too large. After a few conversations and a faxed copy of our original measurements, the sail maker agreed it was his fault. However, because of the storm that have been beating the Washington and Oregon coast it is just as well that we did not begin our trip.
Second glitch: Our refrigeration went out….but it is better to be here and be able to get parts easily and that is already fixed. :)
We are busy stowing clothes and food. I have already weeded out several items of clothing which will go back to the condo when I take my car over to store it and to close up the condo.
This is an awesome task, preparing to leave the dock. Friends at the marina in Blaine had a going away party for us and it was wonderful. If we don’t make it out this year we have to give the party back!!!! Thanks Mark and friends for the great time.
Blessings, Don and Jacquie
July 15, 2008
Well today we have a new issue, the main sail has arrived and does not fit. Don is trying to deal with this new xx!!%!! and I am still in Yakima sewing cushions for the table and captains seat. So far the Sailrite machine is making it easy to sew a wheel cover and the cushion covers.
It looks like we won’t leave on the 17th of August, hopefully we can set sail some time between the 20th and 25th. Don is optimistic that all will work out.
Please Pray for us.
ps. picture is of my newest grandchild: Maggie Cavanaugh from the Eric clan.
July 14, 2008
Don is busy working to get the boat ready, and I am in Yakima getting my knee ready to go. Ugh! We both have so much to do but it is coming along.
I am sewing some things and the big project is seat cushions for the table and captains seat.
Don’s granddaughter is here with me helping when my leg is done for the day. It swells and hurts if I over do.
Pray for us to accomplish all that we need to do. Love Jacquie
June 14, 2008
Today we are cleaning the boat in preparation for my knee surgery. I am packing all the clothes and books that will be going back to Yakima and storage.
Since we have been living on the boat we have accumulated many things that will not be needed when we set sail.
My knee surgery is on Tuesday June 17th, and after that I will be spending some time in Yakima, going to physical therapy, and exercising this knee so it is it great shape for August.
We have a friend Lynn Engle who will be sailing with us, she has already cruised to Mexico a few years ago. And wants to help us while she enjoys the ride. I met her at Whatcom Commuity College. She has family in Oreon, and we have lots in common. She is not sure how long she will be us.
More later. Jacquie